Company Expands Consumer Product Line with VMware Fusion(TM), Allowing Users to Seamlessly Run Windows on a Mac
ALISO VIEJO, CA - Smith Micro Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: SMSI) Consumer and Compression Group today announced it has signed an agreement with VMware, the global leader in software for virtualized desktops and servers, to offer VMware Fusion(TM). VMware Fusion combines a very clean and intuitive interface that Mac users expect with the market-leading desktop virtualization platform to allow users to run PC applications seamlessly alongside existing Mac applications on Intel-based Macs.
"This agreement confirms Smith Micro's strength and value as a leading publisher in the retail and consumer software arenas," said David Polzine, Product Manager, Smith Micro Software, Inc. "The addition of VMware Fusion to our ever-growing product line is testament to our ability to continuously evaluate and add quality, cutting-edge products and services to our valued customers."
VMware Fusion gives users support for Microsoft Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, Ultimate, Windows XP, Linux, and Solaris, among the more than sixty x86 operating systems and leverages nearly a decade of desktop virtualization expertise underscored by more than 100 industry awards.
"VMware Fusion was designed for Mac enthusiasts looking for a seamless way to run Windows applications on the Mac," said Srinivas Krishnamurti, Director of Product Management and Market Development at VMware. "Smith Micro's industry experience and strong channel relationships combined have allowed us to step quickly into the retail arena with our industry-leading VMware virtualization platform."
Key Features of VMware Fusion
- Seamless Windows Integration with Unity: VMware Fusion with Unity enables users to run Windows XP applications just like Mac applications, save or minimize Windows applications to the dock, provide full integration with Mac keyboard shortcuts and use Expose to switch between applications.
- Automatic Boot Camp Integration: VMware Fusion automatically detects users' existing Boot Camp installations so you can run Windows XP alongside Mac OS X with no additional setup.
- Accelerated 3-D Graphics Support: Run DirectX 8.1 applications and play select DirectX 8.1 games from within Windows XP virtual machines.
- Most Complete Virtual Hardware for the Mac: VMware Fusion supports Virtual SMP to leverage dual-core and dual-processor computers and 64-bit operating systems including Windows Vista for maximum performance. It also enables users to use the maximum memory available on Macs to run more virtual machines simultaneously and increase user productivity.
- Snapshot: With its "snapshot" feature, VMware Fusion users can capture and save the current state of a running virtual machine. This enables them to easily roll back to a stable state if the virtual machine becomes unresponsive.
- Migrate an Existing PC with VMware Converter Starter Edition: Users can run VMware Converter on an existing Windows PC to migrate the environment into a virtual machine ready for use on their Macs.
- Broad Product Interoperability: Users can run virtual machines created with VMware Server, VMware Infrastructure 3 and VMware Workstation with VMware Fusion. This enables users to easily use virtual machines that have been created already and use them on their Macs.
- Convenience: "Battery pass-through" allows users to monitor the battery life of their Macs from within non-Mac virtual machines; a Mac's SuperDrive with read-write support for CDs and DVDs are supported in any non-Mac virtual machine; Windows shares the Mac's network connections and effortlessly switches between wired and AirPort/WiFi connections; and users can simultaneously view their Mac environments on separate monitors from other virtual machines.
Pricing and Availability:
The MSRP for VMware Fusion is $79.99. The application is available at the Smith Micro web store at: http://www.allume.com/store, Apple Stores, and other popular retailers, and distribution partners worldwide.
The minimum system requirements for installing and using VMware Fusion are:
- A Mac with an Intel processor running Mac OS X 10.4.9 or higher.
- 512mb of RAM; 1gb or more recommended.
- 275mb of free disk space for VMware Fusion itself and at least 1 GB free disk space for each guest OS, or an existing BootCamp partition.
Supported Guest Operating Systems:
VMware Fusion supports over 60 guest operating systems, including Microsoft Windows 3.1 through Vista (Business and Ultimate Editions), Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD. For a current list of all supported guest operating systems along with installation notes, please see: http://pubs.vmware.com/guestnotes/.
About Smith Micro Software, Inc.:
Smith Micro Software, Inc., headquartered in Aliso Viejo, California, with offices in Europe and Asia, develops and markets wireless multimedia and communications solutions, mobile device management products, image and data compression solutions and many award winning software products. Smith Micro's complete line of products is available through Smith Micro's Enterprise, Channel and OEM Sales Groups, and direct from our websites, retail and value-added resellers (VARs) partners. Smith Micro's common stock trades on the NASDAQ Global Market under the symbol SMSI.
Safe Harbor Statement: This release may contain forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including without limitation forward-looking statements relating to the company's financial prospects and projections, the company's ability to increase its business and the anticipated timing and financial performance of new products and potential acquisitions. Among the important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements are new and changing technologies, customer acceptance of those technologies, fluctuations or cancellations in orders from customers, new and continuing adverse economic conditions, and the company's ability to compete effectively with other software companies. These and other factors discussed in the company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its filings on Forms 10-K and 10-Q, could cause actual results to differ materially from those presented in any forward-looking statements. Smith Micro assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances occurring after the date of this press release.
Smith Micro and the Smith Micro logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Smith Micro Software, Inc. All other trademarks and product names are the property of their respective companies.