ANDSF (Access Network Discovery and Selection Function)
The industry has seen a rapid increase in interest to improve cellular to Wi-Fi interoperability – not just from mobile operators and their network infrastructure providers, but also from cable operators, fixed-line operators and enterprises. This is a global trend as organizations in every region are developing strategies to leverage and monetize Wi-Fi usage.
However, in order to achieve seamless interoperability between cellular and Wi-Fi networks, the industry needs to resolve challenges associated with connectivity, authentication, session persistence and traffic management. This is the objective of several emerging industry standards, including a set being developed by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) known as Access Network Discovery and Selection Function, or ANDSF.
ANDSF is driven by the 3GPP and provides the standard interface and functionality for operators to set device-based policies for operator-preferred network connections. Unlike traditional preferred roaming lists which were static and applied on 3G networks, ANDSF is a HetNet solution in which dynamic rules evaluation determines which network to select based on conditions and operator objectives.
The ease of Wi-Fi access with Hotspot 2.0, combined with the flexibility and robustness of ANDSF policies provide a more complete and integrated approach for managing heterogeneous networks. When Hotspot 2.0 and ANDSF policy coexist on the device, they can ensure operator policy is enforced and good quality of experience is maintained.
ANDSF Document Links
- TS 23.402 – Architecture enhancements for non-3GPP accesses
- TS 24.302 – Access to the 3GPP EPC via non-3GPP access networks
- TS 24.312 – ANDSF Management Object (MO)
- TS 33.402 – 3GPP SAE; Security aspects of non-3GPP accesses
- TR 23.853 – OPIIS, Inter-APN Routing Policy
- TR 23.890 – Optimized Offloading to WLAN in 3GPP RAT Mobility
- TR 23.865 – Study on WLAN Network Selection (WLAN_NS)
- OMA-ERELD-DM-V1_2_1 – Enabler Release Definition for OMA-DM
- OMA-TS-DM_Bootstrap-V1_2_1 – DM Client Bootstrap
- OMA-TS-DM_TND-V1_2_1 – Device Management Tree and Description