Vista Suite Adds Optimized Compression of Office 2007 Documents, Improves Patent Pending Lossless JPEG Compression
ALISO VIEJO, CA - Smith Micro Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: SMSI), a leading provider of software and services for the wireless and consumer marketplace today released StuffIt Deluxe® 11, the newest version of its compression, access, and management solution for Windows. From its revolutionary patent-pending JPEG image compression technology to a newly developed compression method for Microsoft Office 2007 files, StuffIt Deluxe 11 continues to help Smith Micro's leadership position in the image and data compression field.
The StuffIt Deluxe complete information management tool is redesigned for Windows Vista, optimized for multi-core processors, and includes a suite of compression and file transfer tools that enable users to compress, access, protect, send, backup and organize sensitive and valuable files on their PC. StuffIt Deluxe also compresses Word and Excel documents as well as large file types such as PowerPoint presentations.
"StuffIt Deluxe version 11 continues our strong track record of innovation in the field of data compression," said Matthew Covington, Director of Compression Solutions. "Its new optimized compression for Office 2007 documents, combined with our exclusive JPEG compression technology, gives StuffIt Deluxe a significant advantage when sharing files over the Internet by reducing file sizes, and therefore transfer times."
The new release places a continued emphasis on security, adding support for creating Zip archives with 256 bit strong encryption, and includes new features to help guarantee the authenticity of archives that are exchanged between users. StuffIt Deluxe adds CD and DVD burning to support those users looking for a quick and easy file backup solution, and a new indexing service to manage archived data whether stored on or off their PC.
Significant Enhancements and Benefits:
- NEW! Windows Vista Support - StuffIt Deluxe 11 has been rewritten specifically for Windows Vista.
- NEW! Optimized for Multi-Core Processors - StuffIt Deluxe 11 is fully multi-threaded to provide the fastest possible performance when creating and opening archives.
- NEW! Compression of Microsoft Office 2007 PowerPoint, Word, and Excel Documents -The new Open XML includes a layer of compression that reduce the size of the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents created by default in Office 2007 which traditional Zip software is unable to do.
- NEW! Re-compress Zip Files - Zip archives are automatically recompressed using more efficient StuffIt compression when added to a StuffIt X archive. A batch conversion tool is also included to allow large numbers of files to be updated to Smith Micro's updated StuffIt Deluxe format.
- NEW! Built in CD and DVD Burning - The integration of CD and DVD authoring software into StuffIt's compression wizards allows users to archive and burn files and folders to a CD or DVD.
- NEW! Archive Manager™ -Archive Manager automatically maintains a database of all the archived data present on the user's PC. A background service continuously monitors for newly created, downloaded, or otherwise newly present archives.
- NEW! Index Archives™ - Includes the ability to search archives even when they have been moved to CDs, DVDs, or other "offline" locations and contains a complete list of all the files stored in its "parent" StuffIt file.
- NEW! Archive Manifests™ -StuffIt Deluxe now allows users to save and print archive manifests for all supported archive formats.
- NEW! StuffIt Deluxe Office 2007 Plugins - StuffIt Deluxe 11 now includes plugins for Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook and are fully compatible with Microsoft Office 2007.
- Improved! Security - StuffIt Deluxe 11 includes a number of features to help improve the security of important information including MD5 (Message-Digest algorithm 5) and 256 bit encryption for creating Zip archives.
- Improved! JPEG Thumbnail Support -Allows users to choose to use a thumbnail of an archived JPEG image as its icon when browsing the contents of a StuffIt X archive and includes a new, larger, 128x128 view that allows easier previewing of multiple image formats stored in both Zip and StuffIt archives.
Pricing and Availability:
The MSRP for StuffIt Deluxe 11 is $49.99. The application is available at the Smith Micro web store at: http://www.stuffit.com/win/deluxe/and popular retailers, catalogs and distribution partners worldwide.
Registered users of any version of StuffIt Deluxe for Windows can upgrade to StuffIt Deluxe 11 for $19.99. This upgrade offer is good until October, 2007. To upgrade, please visit: http://www.allume.com/store/upgrades.html
StuffIt Deluxe 11 supports all 32 bit versions of Windows Vista, XP, and 2000.
About Smith Micro Software, Inc.:
Smith Micro Software, Inc., headquartered in Aliso Viejo, California, with offices in Europe and Asia, develops and markets wireless multimedia and communications solutions, mobile device management products, image and data compression solutions and many award winning software products. Smith Micro's complete line of products is available through Smith Micro's Enterprise, Channel and OEM Sales Groups, and direct from our websites, retail and value-added resellers (VARs) partners. Smith Micro's common stock trades on the NASDAQ Global Market under the symbol SMSI.
Safe Harbor Statement: This release may contain forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including without limitation forward-looking statements relating to the company's financial prospects and projections, the company's ability to increase its business and the anticipated timing and financial performance of new products and potential acquisitions. Among the important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements are new and changing technologies, customer acceptance of those technologies, fluctuations or cancellations in orders from customers, new and continuing adverse economic conditions, and the company's ability to compete effectively with other software companies. These and other factors discussed in the company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its filings on Forms 10-K and 10-Q, could cause actual results to differ materially from those presented in any forward-looking statements. Smith Micro assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances occurring after the date of this press release.
Smith Micro, the Smith Micro logo, StuffIt, and StuffIt Wireless are registered trademarks or trademarks of Smith Micro Software, Inc. All other trademarks and product names are the property of their respective companies.