New Version Includes Support for Group Faxing, Multiple Customized Cover Pages, Easy-to-Read Fax Status, and All New Fax Browser
MOSCONE CENTER, BOOTH 611, SAN FRANCISCO - January 7, 2003 -- The Macintosh Division of Smith Micro Software, Inc. (Nasdaq: SMSI), a developer and marketer of software and service solutions, announced today FAXstf™ X Pro for Mac® OS X, the easiest way to put fax management at the user's fingertips. Smith Micro will be publicly demonstrating this product at Macworld Conference & Expo 2003 in San Francisco.
At the heart of FAXstf X Pro is a new powerful browser that handles all of your fax needs in a single window. The browser allows you to view multiple documents at once, sort faxes and create your own sub folders for easy storing and reference of sent or received faxes.
"Thousands of Mac users rely on FAXstf X for their daily fax activity. FAXstf X Pro's new Fax Browser and feature enhancements make it even easier for high-volume users to manage their faxing tasks," said William W. Smith Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer of Smith Micro. "FAXstf X Pro is a seamless business productivity tool for sending, receiving, and managing faxes. We listened to our customers and we designed a product that is robust while at the same time presents a new level of simplicity of use not found in any faxing product on the market today."
"Mac OS X's popularity and rapid adoption has created a tremendous opportunity for developers with great Mac OS X solutions," said Ron Okamoto, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations. "From the close integration with Jaguar's powerful Address Book, animated Dock icons to the incredible use of the Aqua interface, FAXstf X Pro is a showcase for products made specifically for Mac OS X."
The new FAXstf X Pro adds many new familiar features that fax users regularity use to making faxing as easy as printing. This new version is redesigned to take the business and consumer user to a new level of convenience and simplicity and includes the following high-productivity features:
- New Browser -- allows users to quickly manage all aspects of sending, receiving and storing faxes from one convenient location;
- Group Faxing -- featuring tight integration with the Mac OS X Address Book, users can send faxes to multiple recipients with a single entry. Any entry in your Mac OS X Address Book with a fax number is ready;
- Multiple Cover Page/Page Header Support -- supports multiple, customize cover pages, and allows users to import cover pages, company logos and/or other graphics for professional-looking fax documents or to match their company's stationary;
- Quick Fax -- quickly send a fax without launching another application or the Mac OS X Address Book. Simply type in the recipient's fax number and send a fax -- great for a single-recipient or when you are in a hurry;
- Multiple/External Modem Support -- In addition to support for the Apple internal modem, FAXstf X Pro supports new Mac-compatible external USB modems;
- Improved Log File -- To make fax management easier, FAXstf Pro sports a new Log File that allows users at a glance to determine status of pending, sent, and received faxes and can view detailed information about the actual fax transmission;
- Export to TIFF/PDF -- enables users to export faxes to both TIFF and PDF formats and allows users a familiar and easy way to mark-up a received fax or store faxes in another file format for attaching to a email;
- Improved Multi-user Support -- allows users of the same machine to manage their own faxes privately.
- Improved Image Quality -- new definition for black and white faxes.
FAXstf X Pro also includes the many features that have made FAXstf X a favorite among Mac users, such as seamless integration with Mac OS X Address Book that allows users to manage all their contacts from one address book and an Aqua interface that mirrors email applications for familiar ease of use.
Robust Mac Integration
FAXstf X Pro carries on the tight integration with Mac OS X found in prior versions of FAXstf X. The solution not only permits background faxing to multiple recipients and supports the Mac OS X Address Book for easy single or group fax distribution. In addition, the exclusive technology of FAXstf X Pro also supports fax forwarding via email, and a 256 gray scale for sharp, detailed viewing of PDF files format.
FAXstf X Pro also features fax scaling from 1% to 500%, fax rotation, page jump to quickly go to any page in a document, search fields to find a fax or search for words in a fax and view the current faxing status with a quick glance at the animated icon in the Dock. FAXstf X Pro is fully compatible with the internal modems on Macs and FAXstf X Pro operates with most document-based applications including Microsoft Office™ v.X, PhotoShop v7 and Apple's iPhoto.
Pricing and Availability
FAXstf X Pro is priced at $89.95 (MSRP), with a variety of new upgrades options available to customers. FAXstf X Pro is the upgrade version of FAXstf, which is included with all new Macs. The product is expected to begin shipping in Q1 of 2003, and will be available from Smith Micro and other authorized retailers. For more information visit the Smith Micro exhibit at Macworld 2003, Booth 611, or log on to www.smithmicro.com.
About Smith Micro Software:
Smith Micro Software, Inc., headquartered in Aliso Viejo, CA, is a developer and marketer of wireless communication and utility software products. The company designs integrated, cross platform, easy-to-use software for personal computing and business solutions around the world. With a focus on the Internet, Wireless and Broadband technologies, the company's products and services enable wireless communications, eCommerce, eBusiness, Internet communications (voice-over-IP), video conferencing, and network fax, along with traditional computer telephony. Smith Micro's complete line of products is available through original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), direct sales, retail stores, value-added resellers (VARs). Smith Micro's common stock trades on The Nasdaq Stock Market® under the symbol SMSI. For more information, contact Smith Micro at (949) 362-5800.
This release may contain forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including without limitation risks and uncertainties relating to the company's financial prospects and projections, the company's plans for returning to sustained profitability and the company's ability to increase its business in the Wireless and Broadband segments. Among the important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements are new and changing technologies, customer acceptance of those technologies, fluctuations or cancellations in orders from distribution customers, new and continuing adverse economic conditions, and the company's ability to compete effectively with other software companies. These and other factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those presented in any forward-looking statement and are discussed in the company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission including its recent filings on Forms 10-K and 10-Q.
Smith Micro, the Smith Micro logo, and FAXstf are trademarks or registered trademarks of Smith Micro Software, Inc. Apple, Macintosh, and Mac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other trademarks and product names are the property of their respective companies.